Resident individuals applying for an AGENT (Producer) license examination must complete a 20-hour pre-licensing classroom or self-study course for their requested lines of authority.
For additional information click here for training providers / study outlines or click here for testing sites / schedules.
Agents, Adjusters, and Life Settlement Brokers
All individual resident agents are subject to continuing education requirements for every major line of authority: life, health, property, casualty, variable life and variable annuity, and personal lines. The following limited lines of authority are exempt: credit, crop, and travel as identified in KRS 304.9-230. All resident life settlement brokers are also required to complete continuing education requirements, and for those individuals also licensed as agent, courses completed may be credited to both licenses.
All individual resident, independent and public adjusters, and non-resident individual and public adjusters using Kentucky as designated home state are subject to continuing education requirements. Staff adjusters are excluded. For those individuals licensed as adjuster and agent, all courses completed may be credited to both licenses.
The continuing education requirement of 24 hours for each continuing education biennium, must be completed the last day of your birth month, odd or even numbered years (depending on the year in which you were born).
Only courses approved by the department will be accepted as approved credit hours. All 24 hours of continuing education may be classroom, correspondence, or self study. A course may only be credited one time during the biennium.
- Agents must complete 24 hours that includes at least three hours of ethics.
- Independent and public adjusters must complete 24 hours that includes at least three hours of ethics.
- Any individual holding multiple licenses that require continuing education will complete the required hours, and credit applies to both licenses.
- Life settlement brokers must also complete at least three hours in life settlement course concentration.
- Life settlement brokers must also complete 24 hours that includes at least three hours of ethics, and at least three hours in life settlement course concentration.
- Up to 12 carryover hours will be applied to the next compliance period as general hours.
If a license or line of authority expires for failing to meet continuing education requirements, the licensee has up to one year from the date of termination to complete the delinquent hours and apply for reinstatement of the license without an examination requirement.
This continuing education training must be obtained from Kentucky-approved independent or insurer providers. Specific courses listings are as follows: