The Department of Insurance coordinates meetings for the Local Government Premium Tax Advisory Council and the Health Insurance Advisory Council. A description of the councils is below. All meetings are open to the public.
Local Government Premium Tax Advisory Council
The Local Government Premium Tax Advisory Council was created in 2008 to provide advice and expertise on the imposition, administration, and collection of local government premium taxes (KRS 91A.0808).
Description of Duties:
- Identifying ways to make the system more effective and efficient for all parties by making recommendations on needed legislative changes and providing comments on needed regulatory reforms;
- Providing information and assistance to insurance companies and local governments regarding procedures and practices related to compliance with the local government premium tax laws, and
- At least once each year, reviewing the criteria for verification of risk location systems or programs established by the Department of Insurance and making recommendations for updating and improving the verification criteria.
Membership Requirements: Ex-officio: Commissioner of the Dept. of Insurance, who shall serve as Chair. (8) members appointed by the Commissioner, which
shall include two (2) city government representatives nominated by the
Kentucky League of Cities, two (2) county government representatives
nominated by the Kentucky Association of Counties, one (1) independent
insurance agent, one (1) representative of a domestic insurance company, one
(1) representative of a foreign insurance company, and one (1) representative
of an insurance trade association
Terms: four (4) year terms,
except for the initial members whose appointments shall be staggered.
Compensation: None Meeting Schedule: A minimum of twice a year
The Health Insurance Advisory Council (HIAC)
The Health Insurance Advisory Council, also known as HIAC, was created in 1996, to review and discuss any issues which impact the provision of health insurance in the state.
Description of Duties:
- Review and discuss the design of the standard health benefit plan;
- Review and discuss the rate-filing process for all health benefit plans;
- Review and discuss the administrative regulations concerning this subtitle to
be promulgated by the department;
- Make recommendations on high-cost conditions as provided in KRS 304.17B033;
- Review and discuss issues that impact Kentucky Access; and
- Review and discuss other issues at the request of the commissioner.
Membership Requirements: Ex-officio: Commissioner of the Dept. of Insurance, who
shall serve as Chair. 8 members appointed by the Governor with the advice of the
Commissioner as follows: 2 reps of insurers currently offering health benefit plans in the
state; 2 practicing health care providers; 2 reps of purchasers of health benefit plans;
and 2 reps of agents.
Term: 2 years Compensation: Expenses Meeting Schedule: TBD