The Kentucky Department of Insurance is here to help those who have fallen victim to the devastating Tornados that hit Western, KY on December 11, 2021. This webpage is intended to serve as a one-stop-shop for consumers and insurers. If you have any questions outside of the information presented on this webpage, please call the Department of Insurance at Phone: 502-564-3630 Toll Free: 800-595-6053
Click here to visit Governor Beshear's website for those Kentuckians impacted by the Dec. 10 tornadoes in western Kentucky. The website provides a listing of information from a large number of state government assistance programs, including how to apply for unemployment, health care coverage, food assistance, driver’s license replacement and long-term housing.
EXECUTIVE ORDER: http://web.sos.ky.gov/execjournalimages/2021-MISC-2021-0923-277844.pdf
AO 2021-0006 Tornado Relief-Adjusters.pdf (ky.gov)-- EXPIRED
DOI Advisory Opinion 2021-07.pdf (ky.gov)--EXPIRED
DOI GUIDANCE: DOI Prescription Refill Guidance-2021.pdf (ky.gov)--EXPIRED
To apply for Federal Aid, please visit FEMA’s Website: Home | disasterassistance.gov
FILE A COMPLAINT
To file a consumer complaint with the Department of Insurance, please visit this link: DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE (ky.gov)
REPORTING INSURANCE FRAUD
If you or someone you know has experienced or witnessed any fraudulent insurance activity, please report to the Department here: DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE (ky.gov)
AVOIDING THE“FLY-BY-NIGHTERS Contractors may be in short supply if there’s a major disaster. Don't let desperation put you in a position to be ripped off. Here are a few tips to help you avoid common scams.
- DO NOT PAY UPFRONT- do not pay out any funds until the work has been completed and meets your standards of satisfaction.
- Avoid repair scams by dealing with reputable licensed and insured local contractors you know or can check out.
- Ask people you trust for recommendations.
- Do not deal with “fly-by-night” roofers or remodelers who go door-to-door, especially those not known in your community or those who offer greatly reduced prices because they say they just completed work nearby and claim to have materials left over.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for identification, especially if money is changing hands, and proof of general liability and workers’ compensation insurance.
- Don’t spend a lot of money on temporary repairs.
- Remember that payments for temporary repairs are part of the total settlement. If you pay a contractor a large sum for a temporary repair job, you may not have enough money for permanent repairs.
- Insist on a written contract that includes a description of the work, total cost and completion date.”
SPECIAL KYNECT OPEN ENROLLMENT
Due to the natural disaster and reported technical issues, kynect health coverage will provide a Special Enrollment Period, meaning individuals will have until Jan 31, 2021 to select a plan with a Jan 1, 2022 effective date. This special enrollment may be continued into January or later if appropriate. The SEP will be granted for the following two circumstances:
1. Any person who attests that their ability to enroll in a Qualified Health Plan was affected by severe Weather in December 2021.
2. Any person who attests that that encountered system errors, including long wait times with the call center, that prevented them from enrolling in a Qualified Health Plan Prior to December 15th.
You can apply for these benefits on the Cabinet of Health and Family Services Website, located here: Kentucky Benefits | kynect
For Licensing questions, please contact: Lee Ellen Webb (Licensing Director)
MAIL CARRIER SERVICES:
MAYFIELD - UPDATE: Mayfield Post Office Temporary Operations - Kentucky newsroom - About.usps.com
Team Western Kentucky Tornado Relief Fund
The Team Western Kentucky Tornado Relief Fund assists those impacted by the tornados and the severe weather system on Dec. 10-11,
All donations to
the Team Western Kentucky Tornado Relief Fund are tax-deductible and donors
will receive a receipt for tax purposes after donating. If you wish to donate
to the Relief Fund, please visit https://secure.kentucky.gov/formservices/Finance/WKYRelief.